Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'
- available to order from winter 2020
- 10 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
- Standard £4.95
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained
- Rate of growth: vigorous
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This handsome, round-headed tree is arguably the best variegated Norway maple available. It has generously proportioned foliage, turning dark green as it matures, but maintaining its creamy-white outer edges. In autumn, the foliage turns orange, putting on a pretty dazzling dispaly before it is shed. 'Drummondii' is an excellent specimen tree for a medium to large-sized garden, and it will cope admirably with pollution.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.