ornamental onion bulbs
- 20 + 10 FREE bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 10 bulbs
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
- Bulb size: 10/12
The grey-green leaves of this ornamental onion generally have started to die back when the flowers emerge in early summer. These sit on tall, sturdy stems forming flattish clusters that create a striking silhouette. Each creamy-white to pale lavender flower has a pronounced ovary at its heart, which looks a little like a green pearl, nestled in the centre. Very pretty - and in big demand after its appearance in Cleve Wests garden at Chelsea in 2012.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs 15cm deep and 15cm apart to enjoy the full effect of the flowers. Avoid excessive mositure from late summer when they become dormant. Over-large clumps can be lifted and divided in autumn or spring.