Bergenia cordifolia 'Purpurea'
- available to order from spring 2021
- 9cm pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The red-flushed, rippled foliage of this large elephant’s ears can grow up to 30cm long and will turn attractive shades of rich purple throughout the winter, especially when grown in poorer soils. In late winter and early spring, tall red stems carry clusters of cerise pink flowers.
This variety has handsome purple-tinged leaves and bears spikes of deep pink flowers on red stems in spring. A favourite of garden designer Gertrude Jekyll and plantswoman Beth Chatto, this robust plant is great for edging well-trodden paths or planted in groups as ground cover, or providing a foil for delicate plants.
- Garden care: After flowering remove faded flowerheads. Cut off damaged foliage in spring. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring.