borage - organic / Borago officinalis
- Available in 4 weeks
- approx 75 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun or light shade
- Soil: fertile and moist
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: hardy annual (it will die within one year)
A wonderfully useful as well as decorative plant. The young leaves and vivid blue flowers of this annual herb have a fresh cucumber-like flavour, so are often used in salads, soups, chilled drinks or simply as a garnish. The flowers attract bees and other beneficial insects, while the foliage has been known to reduce attacks of hornworm when planted between tomato plants. At the end of the year, add the plants to the compost heap as they will promote many beneficial minerals. Borage is an annual plant, but it will self-seed readily in good conditions. If you don’t want more plants, dead-head the flowers as soon as they fade.
- Garden care:Form shallow drills at 30cm intervals in a well prepared bed, and sow thinly, just covering the seed before watering well. The seeds have a higher germination rate when temperatures are between 15 - 25C, so early sowings can be covered with a cloche. When big enough to handle, thin the seedlings to 25cm.
- Sow: March - May
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 75 seeds.