Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud'
clematis (group 3)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This late summer flowering clematis produces masses of large, mauve-pink flowers with contrasting yellow centres from July to September. A favourite of gardeners since the beginning of the twentieth century, it is easy-to-grow and less prone to clematis-wilt than other large-flowered varieties. Ideal for growing against a sunny wall.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.