Clematis 'Fond Memories'
clematis (group 3)
- available to order from late summer
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This wonderful variety has enormous, single flowers, which grow up to 18cm across. The colour is the palest shade of pink with rosy-lavender margins and stamens. The flowers have a beautiful satin sheen to them, and the underside is a very deep rosy-lavender with maroon veins. The leaves are dark green and glossy and some may remain on the plant during milder winters. A great clematis for a pot, provided they do not become too hot or dry out.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.