Clematis 'Markham's Pink'
clematis (group 1)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sumptuous, double, candyfloss-pink, early spring flowers with creamy-yellow centres, followed by silvery, seedheads retained throughout the summer. This clematis looks lovely scrambling through a strong tree or shrub. Ideal for a north-facing site, it's also known as the downy clematis since the new shoots are covered with down.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.