Clematis 'Sweet Summer Love' (PBR)
clematis (group 3)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Recently introduced from Poland, this beautiful clematis will produce a mass of lightly scented reddish-purple flowers, each with a pale reverse for several months from midsummer. The first flush of flowers is the most prolific, but then it will usually continue to flower well into autumn. A lovely partner for a climbing rose, it can be grown in a large container if space is at a premium.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.