Erica carnea 'Myretoun Ruby'
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: preferably well-drained acidic soil, however they will tolerate mildly alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small, urn-shaped, deep pink flowers, maturing to magenta then crimson smother the plant from January to May and contrast beautifully with the fine, dark green foliage. Low and spreading in habit, it's useful groundcover for sunny, well-drained areas of the garden and looks at home planted in bold drifts with other heathers. Though it prefers acid soil, the plant will tolerate mildly alkaline soil and partial shade.
- Garden care: During the growing season water regularly, applying a half-strength application of a balanced liquid fertiliser every four weeks. After the plant has flowered trim with shears or secateurs to remove the dead flowers and encourage bushy growth.