Eventual height & spread
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Dark Angel Purple' (Black Diamonds Series)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the new breed of mophead hydrangeas, this one was chosen by us for the intensity of the flower colour. To get the best colour, you should grow it in acidic soils or ericaceous compost, and apply hydrangea colourant at regular intervals, but even when grown in normal or alkaline soils the flower colour will revert to a good shade of pinkish red. Long-flowering additions to the summer border, hydrangeas are one of the best-loved and hardest working of all the shrubs and therefore have become a staple.
- Garden care: Leave the old flower heads in place through the winter. As the new shoots start to emerge in spring cut back a third to a quarter of the previous seasons flowering stems to the base and cut back the remaining flower heads to the first pair of buds.