Ilex × altaclerensis 'Golden King'
- sold out
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The glossy leaves of this holly have grey-green mottled centres and bright, golden-yellow margins. Despite its name, this compact, conical, evergreen shrub is a 'female' variety of holly which produces reddish-brown autumn berries that ripen to red. One of the best golden variegated hollies, it's a lovely specimen plant for a big, sunny shrub or mixed border.
- Garden care: To guarantee berries, it's necessary to plant a male holly nearby. Plants grown as free-standing specimens require minimal pruning - remove diseased or misplaced branches in spring. Trim plants grown as formal hedges in late summer. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted compost or manure around the base of the plant.