Lathyrus odoratus 'Cupani'
sweet pea seed Cupani's original
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- approx 20 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy perennial
This sweet pea was first introduced to the UK in 1699 when a Sicilian monk, Francis Cupani, sent seeds of this highly fragrant annual to Dr Robert Uvedale, a teacher from Enfield, Middlesex. Thanks to its delicious scent the sweet pea has gained popularity throughout the centuries and over 400 years later the range of colours has increased enormously. Many of the modern varieties however lack the scent of their older relatives, which is why we have included this old variety in our collection. The flowers may be a little smaller than their recently introduced cousins, but they have a brilliant two-tone colour and the scent is to die for. You simply wont find a sweet pea with a better scent than this one.
- Garden care: From October to late March, sow seeds into pots filled with good-quality seed compost and place them in a cold frame. Pinch out the tips as the plants grow to encourage them to become bushier, and harden off before planting out in a sunny spot from April onwards. Direct sowings can be made in October or March. It is important to remove the faded flowers before they set seed, so picking them to fill a vase inside will only encourage more to form.
- Sow: October-March
- Flowering: June-September
- Approximate quantity: 20 seeds.