bird's foot trefoil
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- approx 100 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: May to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Originating from sunny pastures and open rocky sites, these long-lived perennials are ideal for gravel gardens, meadows and other naturalised planting schemes. Their bright yellow flowers take on an orange hue as they age, and will provide a good source of nectar for bees and butterflies. They are fast growers and once established may become invasive, which is useful if you want to cover a large area quite quickly. Prompt dead-heading will help keep clumps smaller.
- Garden care: Soak the seeds in water for 24 hours or gently scarify before sowing. In early spring or autumn start them off under glass, sowing the seeds shallowly in good seed compost and keeping them moist (but not wet) until they germinate. Thin out when they are large enough to handle and pot on. Gradually harden off before planting out in late spring or early summer. Alternatively, sow them directly into a well-prepared bed when temperatures are warmer. Seeds sown in autumn have a good chance of producing flowers in their first summer.
- Sow: March - May or August - October
- Flowering: May - September
- Approximate quantity: 100 seeds