mint - peppermint
peppermint / Mentha × piperita
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This herb dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or part shade
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering Period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is an invaluable and easy to grow herb that is said to have the strongest flavour. It can be used to make delicious mint sauces and teas, as well as flavour sweets, puddings and toothpaste. Initially upright, the stems become lax as they grow, and begin to root where they touch the ground, so in time large clumps will be formed. If you prefer to keep them under control, they are best planted in large pots or containers, where they will thrive if kept well watered.
- Garden care: When plants have finished flowering in summer, cut flowered shoots back to 5cm (2in) above the surface of the compost.