Tulipa 'Black Parrot'
parrot tulip bulbs
- available to order from summer 2021
- 5 bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 11/12
Dramatic, blackish-purple, cup-shaped flowers with irregularly cut wavy petals in May and strap-like, grey-green leaves. These spectacular black parrot tulips, one of the darkest varieties currently available, make excellent cut flowers. To prevent the exotic flowers from flopping they're best planted close together in a sunny, sheltered, well-drained spot.
- Garden care: In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering deadhead and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy