Zinnia 'Dahlia-Flowered Mixed'
- In stock (shipped within 1-2 working days)
- approx 130 seeds
- Seed Packets (only) £2.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Hardiness: tender annual
Zinnias make great bedding plants as they are easy to grow and will provide months of colour. They were cultivated by the Aztecs and can definitely be described as sun-lovers. The 'Dahlia Flowered' cultivars are an heirloom zinnia, which was first introduced in the early 1900's. It produces flat-faced, tightly packed flowerheads (10 - 15cm across) throughout summer in a wide range of bright colours. They make excellent cut flowers and will encourage bees.
- Growing instructions: For early flowers, sow under glass in early spring. Fill a seed tray or pot with good quality compost and space the seeds at 2.5cm intervals and just cover with a sprinkling of compost. Water moderately and when the seedlings are large enough to handle pot on and harden off before planting outside. Alternatively sow thinly outside in a sunny bed after all risk of frost has passed. Thin to 25cm as they grow on. Sowing several batches with a couple of weeks in between each will ensure the flowering period stretches from early summer to the first frosts.
- Sow: March to June
- Flowering: June to September
Goes well with
Calendula officinalis Indian Prince (Prince Series)
approx 100 seeds
In stock (shipped within 1-2 working days)