Clematis 'Advent Bells'
clematis (group 1)
- available to order from late summer
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: December to February
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
This evergreen clematis is noted for its abundance of flowers, which appear throughout the winter months adding a much sought after splash of colour. Each flaring bell-shaped bloom is a creamy white, but the inside of the petals is heavily patterned with maroon spots and splashes. They are pendent, so hang from the slender stems amongst the delicate-looking rich green foliage. It's a great option for a sheltered wall.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.