Clematis 'Dark Eyes'
clematis (group 3)
- Available in 4 weeks
- 2 lt pot (60cm cane)
- Next / named day
This climber is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sumptuous deep purple flowers, with petals that have a lush, velvety appearance, appear in abundance on this easy and undemanding viticella. It's not too big, so can be grown in a large pot topped with an obelisk, and it will add depth of colour to the colour scheme. Team it with softer purple and lilac as plum and pink tones.
- Garden care: In early spring cut back the previous year's stems to a pair of strong buds about 15-20cm (6-8in) above ground-level and apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the plant, avoiding the immediate crown.