Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty'
species crocus bulbs
- available to order from autumn
- 25 bulbs
- 75 bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February and March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5
Rich-cream goblets with brown flushes and deep golden-yellow throats, emerge in February and March amid slender, strap-shaped, mid green leaves. These spring-flowering crocuses are perfect for naturalising in sunny, well-drained areas of the lawn. Relatively vigorous, they soon form large colonies, which can be divided in early autumn for use in other parts of the garden.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in tight clusters to form naturalistic drifts 10cm deep where they can be left undisturbed for several years. Keep a look out for mice or squirrel damage This can sometimes be avoided by laying a piece of chicken wire over the bulbs before you cover them with soil. If you are growing these in grass, avoid mowing it until the leaves have completely died back.