Hypericum × hidcoteense 'Hidcote'
St. John's wort
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of golden-yellow, cup-shaped flowers smother this evergreen or semi-evergreen shrub from July to October, creating a superb, long-lasting display. Perfect for the mixed or shrub border, where it will flourish in either full sun or partial shade. Dense and bushy in habit, it requires moderately-fertile, moist but well-drained soil and will appreciate protection from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: After flowering lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.