Hypericum × hidcoteense 'Hidcote'
St. John's wort
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of golden-yellow, cup-shaped flowers smother this evergreen or semi-evergreen shrub from July to October, creating a superb, long-lasting display. Perfect for the mixed or shrub border, where it will flourish in either full sun or partial shade. Dense and bushy in habit, it requires moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil and will appreciate protection from cold, drying winds.
- Garden care: After flowering lightly trim back shoots that spoil the symmetry of the plant. After pruning apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.