Paeonia 'Buckeye Belle'
paeony / peony
- available to order from autumn
- 4 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moisture-retentive yet well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Prized for their blowsy, glamorous blooms and glossy, deeply cut foliage, peonies are held in deep affection by many gardeners, despite their short flowering season and vulnerability to peony wilt in damp weather. It's easy to see why. From the promise of early spring, when their red, mottled shoots push through bare earth and the handsome foliage unfurls, to early summer, when the huge flowers burst open from spherical red buds, peonies exert a fascination that few can resist. 'Buckeye Belle' has deep red semi-double flowers from early to mid summer and dark green leaves. This lovely, early-flowering peony will thrive in partial shade but will prefer a sunnier spot. Fill the bare ground around the peony with spring bulbs to prolong the season of interest.
This paeonia has been field grown, however in order to keep the roots hydrated and promote fresh new growth, we have potted them up. Therefore, your plant may not have a well developed root system just yet, so you should not worry if the soil falls away when you are planting it out.
- Garden care: Deadhead after flowering. In early spring apply a balanced slow-release fertiliser around the base of the plant and mulch with well-rotted compost or manure.