tansy / Tanacetum vulgare
- in stock
(shipped within 1 week)
- approx 35 seeds
- Next / named day
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, preferably sandy soil
- Rate of Growth: fast
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Very cheerful, bright yellow, button-like flowers form in flattened clusters throughout the summer. The aromatic, feathery foliage acts as a natural insect repellent, and is said to repel many troublesome pests including wasps, flies, ants and some beetles. The flowers however are lovely by beneficial insects including bees and butterflies. Tansy is often planted beside potatoes to keep the crop healthy. The leaves can be dried and used inside the house to help deter ants.
- Garden care: Start early or late sowings off under glass, but it is possible to sow directly into a sunny, well prepared bed during warmer weather. When sown in seed trays, just cover the seed and keep well watered but not wet. Pot on when large enough to handle and harden off before planting at 30cm intervals outside in late spring or early summer.
- Sow: February - May or August - October
- Flowering: June - September
- Approximate quantity: 60 seeds.